When we got married, Aaron and I decided to live with my parents and save up for a house, that way we wouldn't have to rent. The first year was hard. We fought A LOT. My dad was a great help, he'd sit between us and help us figure things out.
Before our first anniversary, we bought a house in Tooele. I LOVED that house. I won't kid myself and say
we were the happy newlyweds in a new house, but we tried. We had problems, and we worked through them. We wanted a baby, and when it didn't happen as fast as I wanted it to, we adopted a dog. Molly had 3 legs. She was a black lab, she was beautiful. She was sweet. She was my first "baby". I cried on her shoulder month after month when we didn't get pregnant.
Just before our 2nd anniversary, we found out we were pregnant. I had a pregnancy test, and decided to take it on a Sunday morning in February. We were both home, and it would be fun to find out together. Unfortunately, I had had it so long that I had lost the instructions and we didn't know if it was positive or negative. Aaron & I drove to a few stores before we found one that stocked the brand we had at home. We grabbed the box, looked on the back, and there, in the middle of Albertson's in Tooele, we found out that our first baby was on the way. Aaron picked me up and spun me around. We kissed and danced in the middle of Albertson's.
When we found out we were going to have a girl, Aaron cried tears of joy. He had always hated the Savage Garden song "I knew I loved you" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnmICxvoVY) but that day, he decided it was perfect for the way he felt. We went to breakfast at Arby's, and he said "I LOVE my baby girl. But I've never met her." He couldn't wait to hold his little girl. We had so many dreams.
Karleah Shannon joined our family on October 25, 2001. It was my mom's 51st birthday. She was beautiful, she was healthy, and she was worth every second of waiting, every tear shed when I was anxiously waiting for her to come.
I specifically remember going to an appointment when she was a few days old. I think we were refinancing our home loan, and the receptionist said "there's a family here to see you." It was the first time we'd been referred to as a "family" instead of a "couple". I was thrilled.
Karleah still brings so much joy to our lives. She is wonderful. I love my little girl!!

No comments:
Post a Comment