I know it seems crazy for somebody going through a divorce, let alone the person that initiated it, but I have a great appreciation for family.
Heavenly Father watches out for us more than we can ever understand. Things fall in to place sometimes so perfectly we don't even see God's hand in it. Other times, we struggle on our path and wonder where He is, not realizing that he has been there all along.
My getting this house next to my parents is a HUGE blessing. The way things fell together, years before this happened, made it possible for this miracle to happen. Stumbling blocks from the past, trials that seemed insurmountable led to the tender mercies I'm now witnessing.
When I moved, I was worried about being taken advantage of because I'm so close to my parents and they are usually the free babysitters. I was worried my siblings might try to use me occasionally, or that family gatherings would have to happen at my house. I even vented to my siblings about the fears I had, and even as I stated (or typed) them, I didn't think it would do any good. I am stressed enough with a move, new schools, new bills, divorce, etc.
Since my move, I have again witnessed the hand of God in my life countless times. I feel so blessed to be here when my parents need to go somewhere, and I can take the grandkids that are visiting. I love that I have gotten to know my oldest brother's kids. I never had that opportunity before. His first wife, Julie, didn't really like leaving them with anybody and she didn't make a huge effort to let family get to know them. The oldest didn't know my name until he was like 10, and it bothered me!!! I have been amazed at these "kids". I'm not sure I'd be that strong after watching my mom die, and having their dad get engaged then break it off, and get engaged again shortly after. Yet they are pretty good kids. Sure, they bother me, but what kind of kid would they be if they didn't?
Then, my mom had knee surgery so I had my sister's oldest stay with me to help with kids until mom is up to watching them again. I treasure the late night chats with her, and the example she set for my kids is priceless. That girl has got her head on so straight, she is bound to be an incredible leader of some sort. I was never that strong, that certain.
The 2nd week that she had to watch my kids, she brought along 2 of her siblings because the 3rd one was at camp and unable to babysit for my sister. Yep, 8 kids at my house, but it was great. I got to spend time with most of my nieces and nephews at the same time. It's great to have that time with them, and to feel their spirits in my home. They are all amazing, strong, talented, and beautiful.
Then, there are the nights when I am depressed and my mom is there to talk to. Or when I've had a rough day, I can call on my dad for a blessing. I don't love the road that I'm on, it's hard. But I do love the blessings that are being poured down upon me as I try to obey my Heavenly Father and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
It's ALL about family, and I'm so blessed to have some of the most amazing children surrounding me! What a blessing to be so close to them all.
No comments:
Post a Comment