Since I'm fairly certain rumors are flying, and I have been fairly open about it, I want to confirm some things, and try to stop the untruths in the flying rumors:
- Yes, Aaron and I ARE GETTING DIVORCED.
- Aaron has moved in with his mom, all his belongings are out of the house.
- I am staying in the house for at least a month or two while we try to sell it. If it doesn't sell soon, we will have to reevaluate what we want to do.
- I hope to move closer to my parents, and my job so they can help with kids and I can have a nice short commute for the first time in 12 years. :)
- The reason(s) we are getting divorced, are very complex. We've been together 13 years, we have five amazing children, and even if it was something simple to tell you about, it's really nobody's business but ours as to why we are taking the steps for divorce. Please, don't ask "why" because that question is nearly impossible to answer.
- Feel free to ask how we are doing, or to offer help/support because believe me, we both need it. This is hard for both of us! Just don't expect me to shovel dirt about Aaron, because I do still care very deeply for him, and I still love him (and it's really not going to help ANYBODY to spread more gossip). A good friend told me that divorce is not about lack of love.
- Don't make judgements towards either of us. I am the one that initiated the divorce, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's all Aaron's fault. That doesn't mean it's all my fault either. Divorce is not a one-sided thing, everyone involved will suffer to some extent. Please, pray for our children. They are having a hard time, and we don't always have the answers for them.
- I realize it's hard to understand why somebody that still loves their spouse is getting divorced. Don't bother trying to analyze it, or talk to people about how you view that. I have two friends that divorced a person they were in love with, only to remarry a while later. I thought that was psycho, and now that I am experiencing similar "issues" I view it differently. It's not something we decided overnight. I once heard it explained like a type of cancer that has to be cut off.
- I have received several priesthood blessings through the years, (and said many prayers) before I came to the decision to divorce Aaron. He is a good man, with a good heart. He loves deeply, and he was very shocked at my decision. It's really nobody's business how I came to the decision, and as mentioned above, there is really no "why". Just know that it is not something I take lightly.
- Please, don't tell me how hard it will be, or ask if I'm sure! I know these are well-meaning comments, and sometimes divorce is approached lightly. We have discussed it several times in the past few years. I am mature enough, and smart enough, to know how hard it will be on me, Aaron, and the kids. No, not first-hand, but I still believe it to be the best decision for us.
- We're trying very hard to keep things civil, and keep lawyers out of the equation. Just because you know somebody that had a bad experience, doesn't mean I need to hear about it. The fact that somebody else was "screwed" because they chose to try things the way we are trying, doesn't change what we have prayed about and feel good about. If you have advice or support, we gladly accept, but if you are just going to share stories, save it for someone else.
- Don't come pretending to care, just so you can get some dirt you want to spread around. We are doing our best to keep this clean, especially for the kids. They don't need to hear us talking badly about anybody least of all, their parents. Would you want your kids to hear people trash-talk you? I didn't think so.
- We still say "I love you" to each other, and we like to hug. Don't be surprised, or disgusted. We do. How can you NOT love and care for somebody you have spent so much time with?
Thank you to my ward friends that have been so kind and supportive. To my family for loving me, and praying for BOTH of us. To Aaron's family for "taking him in" when I asked him to leave. Thank you to all for your love, kindness, support, and avoiding gossip. We feel very blessed, and we can't possibly regret 13 years together, especially when we have the most amazing, beautiful children EVER! (new rule, don't argue with that).
Hey girl. Just again want you to know I'm thinking about you guys. You've been on my mind constantly. Being in this situation as a child, I know how hurtful gossip can be. Even years later, I'm surprised by rumors that were spread about my parents and family. I just hope the women we associate with can be sensitive to your situation and resist the urge to talk and suppose. I've got your back, though. And I do trust that the women in our neighborhood will be sensitive. There are so many here with kind, thoughtful hearts. I'm sad to see you go when that time comes but I get it. Please let me help any time with your kids!
ReplyDeleteDitto to what Becky said. I hope I didn't have a hand in any of the ...um, I can't think of the right word. I just hope that you know I care and it's 2000% genuine. You AMAZE me more and more every time I talk to you or read your posts! ♥
ReplyDeleteI am sorry Amberleah. I know what you are going through. And I watched my mom go through the same thing and was shunned by some of the people in her ward. The gossip and judgment is hurtful. I think you pretty much summed it up nicely in this post. No one knows how it feels until you have been through it. I love you and am here for you. Hang in there!
ReplyDelete