Several months ago, I was sitting in church and there was this lady sitting behind me (a visitor for a baby blessing). I confess, I broke the 10th commandment because I was totally coveting her. She had gorgeous salon hair, fancy nails, tailored clothes, and her son was wearing some expensive outfit. I was wondering when it will be "my turn" to be beautiful like that.
Shortly after that, I was helping my kids get snacks and I was watching them play together, and share their snacks with the little boy behind us, and the family in front of us. They were getting along, and I was in awe of them all. THIS is my tailored clothes. Their smiles are greater than manicured nails. Salon hair styles don't compare to the joy my kids bring to me.
Two nights ago, after dinner, I was sitting at the table, trying to get motivation to clean up. Karleah was standing at the head of the table, talking to Aaron. I was watching her, and actually teared up for a while. I flashed back to the day we found out we were pregnant, and the day we found out we were having a girl. The day we brought her home, the day she crawled, walked, etc. I stared at my beautiful daughter, and as I reflected on all the memories with her, I remembered the lady at church.
I chose this path. I chose to be a mommy. I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. It reminded me of this quote from Sister Hinckley (Thanks Connie!)
“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car,
wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and
with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”
I am really living. I LOVE my kids, and I'm so glad I chose the path that I did. They are my joy!
Living the dream! :)
ReplyDelete